Basically, it is just home made, home captured energy. Most often, home systems generate electricity from photovoltaic panels (PV) or wind turbines, or a combination of both, and provide solar hot water. We provide you with the information to create your own Alternative Energy System.
What happens when the sun goes down or the wind is calm?
The short answer, for a well designed system, is that things keep running without a flicker. But there are two main choices.
1. Most stand-alone (off-grid) systems have battery storage systems.
2. On the other hand, grid-tied systems use the local utility company as the “storage system.” You and the electric company trade power back and forth depending who uses or produces more at any given moment.
How much will a green energy system cost?
This question is a bit like, “How long is a piece of string?” But we’ll start with a good rule of thumb in the AE business:
Seriously, efficiency and conservation come first, unless you have extra money to spend. And a basic green principle is to use less, not more to live better. We’ll need a few more bits of information to help you evaluate alternative energy systems costs for your needs:
1. Have you audited your own household energy usage? This is a great first step.
2. Are you building a new home, or adding AE to an existing home?
3. How much of your home energy usage do you want your AE system to supply?
4. Do you want or need to be off-grid, or is grid-tied a better solution?
5. Where is your home? Site assessment is crucial step in selecting a suitable system.
Ask yourself these questions while browsing for your green energy system. If you can’t find the necessary information on our website, then please do contact us and include the answers to the questions above!read more
There are three main sources of large amounts of energy in large bodies of water. These are, tidal motion, wave motion and thermal storage. For a long time, large bodies of water have been used as heat sinks i.e. to cool equipment, buildings, industrial operations etc. The reverse has not been utulised as much however due to the fact that most bodies of water are below the ambient temperatre required. Therefore, obeying thermodynamics, it is not posible to harness the thermal mass of large bodies of water. Tidal motion is controlled by the...read more
Biomass is an ecological friendly way to use what we have around us to create alternative sources of energy. Biomass energy does not require the use of fossil fuels and can also be very cost effective alternatives that also help the impact we have on the environment. Biomass is any living or recently living plant or animal material that can be used as fuel. This can be: downed trees, grass clippings, plant materials or even solid waste. The biomass is then utilized to generate electricity by burning or converting to bio fuel. Biomass energy...read more